how efficient is the solar panels?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how efficient is the solar panels?

Default how efficient is the solar panels?

DS1's solar panels convert 22% of their available energy into electrical power. This may not sound very good, but it is much better than most solar panels. Most solar panels on people's houses, for example, are fairly inefficient. Less than 14% of the energy that reaches them will be converted to electricity. DS1's panels are so efficient, in fact, that unless the ion propulsion drive is running, DS1 is producing far more power than it needs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasStinks.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dollopsandy View Post
    DS1's solar panels convert 22% of their available energy into electrical power. This may not sound very good, but it is much better than most solar panels. Most solar panels on people's houses, for example, are fairly inefficient. Less than 14% of the energy that reaches them will be converted to electricity. DS1's panels are so efficient, in fact, that unless the ion propulsion drive is running, DS1 is producing far more power than it needs.
    Surely solar panels are the future way of electricity production.. Even I have installed solar panels for my home and office electricity needs
    Last edited by PatLopez; 10-20-2013 at 07:22 AM.

You can measure efficiency from many different perspectives.

Here is one. ( Energy output/Energy of incident light ) x 100% =

Here is another ( (Expected lifetime energy output) x (expected comparable cost of purchased energy) ) / ( (total lifetime cost including real estate, permits, solar panels, ancillary equipment like inverter, batteries, controllers, etc, installation and connection, etc) x (financing cost for level payment over expected life of purchased equipment))

There are many other ways to judge efficiency.

Likewise there are many other ways to improve efficiency.

One thing that might improve efficiency in the first example but not in the second would be to run chilled water over the solar panels, since many solar panels have improved output if kept at a lower temps...yet the additional cost of building, running and upkeep probably does not provide a benefit as calculated in the second example.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasStinks.com
    Advertisements

Due to use of Silicon in the solar plates, they generates electricity which is about around 25%. Solar energy is a inexhaustible energy source.

Quote Originally Posted by PatLopez View Post
    Surely solar panels are the future way of electricity production.. Even I have installed solar panels for my home and office electricity needs
    Not if you live somewhere cloudy. I think tidal energy is the future.
    d

8. Remove Advertisements
    GasStinks.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread